Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cruisin' Along...

Okay, so you've got the basic idea behind my "diet" plan.  To be honest, I don't even count calories in the bottom three tiers of the pyramid anymore (but it has taken me a while to be able to eyeball a correct portion size).  At this point, I am having so much fun on my plan, that I have actually put together a cookbook titled, You Are What You Eat: Everyday Healthy Recipes For All Walks of Life.  Making this plan a way of life has lit a new fire in me, a passion for cooking.  The cookbook has several sections targeting specific types of meal preparation, (low sodium, diabetic, heart healthy, healthy carbohydrate, low fat, weight management, meatless, and smart sweets).  It is available for purchase. Please contact through email, haddadam23@uww.edu.

Let's clear up this portion distortion, what exactly is a serving?

A tennis ball = 1 serving of cooked rice or pasta
A deck of cards = 3 oz. steak, chicken, or pork
4 dice = 1.5 oz hard cheese
1 checkbook = 3 oz. fish fillet
1 shot glass = 2 Tbsp. salad dressing
1 die = 1 serving (1 Tbsp) butter or margarine
1 baseball = 1 cup of raw leafy veggies
1 light bulb = 1/2 cup veggies
1 cassette tape = 1 serving bread/grains
1 medium sized fist = 1 serving fruit


Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment